How are points earned?
1. Official Performance (30 points)
- Legislators: Bipartisan bill sponsorship and co-sponsorship
- Executives: Bipartisan job approval
- Candidates without congressional or gubernatorial service: Predictive estimate by statistical modeling
2. Personal Actions (30 points)
- Public conversation across political differences
- Joining an official from the opposing party for a visit of their district
- Membership in a common ground focused caucus (Only U.S. House)
3. Communication (20 points +/-)
- Promoting common ground (+)
- Insulting political opponents (-)
4. Commitments (20 points)
- I will identify and set aside personal biases.
- I will commit to seek agreement, progress, and solutions.
- I will listen first to learn perspectives and experiences.
- I will not assume, but seek to understand motives and intentions.
- I will seek outcomes all can live with but not compromise principles.
- I will accept that good people may disagree.
- I will use and accept facts.
- I will stay respectful.
- I will resist demonizing.
- I will de-escalate hostile situations.
5. BONUS: Outstanding Common Grounder (+10 points)
Get More Details
- Awarded for common ground behavior or boldly champions common ground.